Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Frosty

I decided to respond to Robert Frost's "Acquainted with the Night." The poem uses end ryhme but the last line of the poem doesnt follow the ryhme scheme. There is an extended metaphor to describe the wind when he is walking. "...an interrupted cry came over houses from another street, but not to call me back or say goodbye..." There is also alliteration during the poem. Frost consistantly uses the phrase "I have" to start off many of the lines in the poem. The speaker of the poem is the author himself describing his late night walks on city streets. There is also great imagery in the poem. It makes me look back to my own late night walks on city streets.

2 comments:

  1. I like your suggestion of the cry representing the wind. To be entirely honest, that didn't click with me on the first read through, which was admittedly at three in the morning.

    But in thinking about it, the interrupted nature of its crying could be referring to rising and falling gusts of air. Thinking about it this way makes it easier for me to understand the setting of the poem a little more, which then makes me also agree with your comments about imagery.

    I wonder why the last line doesn't follow the rest of the poem's rhyming scheme, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why were you walking late at night in the dark?...Just kidding, I think you did a good job. It was easy to follow and I agreed with you.

    ReplyDelete