Wednesday, March 18, 2009

REflECt

I noticed that there was some changed between my writings at the beginning of the quarter to now. I started off somewhat understanding the poems I read at home but then once we moved onto short stories I started analyzing them more accurately at least to what I think is considered accurate. I think I am better at reading stories than I am at poems because stories are easier to dissect because there is more material. I tried to think of the audience as a person who was sitting beside me reading what I just posted. I mainly used a very casual tone while typing. I really wanted to go for a personal tone to appear to the readers more of whom I am and kind of get a sense of how I will respond to prompts. I started talking about what my day was like or how my overall mood was during that day to give them a sense of what I’m coming from in analyzing. My comments to others were not what I would consider class A comments. I agreed with their overall message but most of the time I put a little funny bit into my comment and didn’t give it a very serious tone. Honestly I came into this class not thinking I had a very good knowledge of English because I was a science major in an integrated language arts class. So I was kind of nervous to critique anyone’s essay so the first few classes I just sat at the computer and read every blog till it was time to go to the classroom. So I don’t know exactly how beneficial I was to others education. On the other hand I really appreciated all the responses I got for my blog. I especially liked the one that discussed Lebron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers. I tried to take the comments I received and adapt my writing or thought process to try and incorporate them into my blogs and my work throughout the quarter in my other classes that require me to write. I think my blogs were pretty well done for my standards. I tried to mix up my writing styles every now and then and put a little extra in from time to time. Sometimes I rushed the blog assignment other than when I wrote about an interesting story. The poetry aspect was definitely my weak point. I have trouble making a huge analysis over a single stanza poem. I like I’m slightly better at analyzing poems after taking this class and I think my blogs represent that statement. I feel like the blog was actually a good idea all things considered. They were easy assignments and I only recall missing one or two of the postings. I felt like I could write more openly despite the fact it was on the Internet. I felt like the only people reading it would really understand what I was trying to communicate my thoughts to the computer screen. The different prompts we wrote about helped to get a grasp on how to effectively analyze a story and even write a paper out of a few concepts. They gave importance to things such as the author’s diction and other writing strategies that vary form story to story. There was real goal to get in depth to the stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment